Question: Okay, first off, what is an Investor Focused Realtor?
Answer: An Investor Focused Realtor is a real estate professional who helps investors build wealth.
- Works only real estate investors.
- Has been a full time Realtor for a minimum of 3 years
- Is a real estate investor that has owned investment properties for over 5 years.
- Has knowledge of the rental market and what drives that market.
- Has experience or is trained in creative real estate investing techniques.
- Has developed a large network of Investor Focused Realtors, mortgage specialists, lawyers, accountants and others who are investors themselves that help both sellers and buyers.
- Often has access to off market opportunities that never make it to MLS.
- Understands which investment strategies and tactics should be used based on the real estate cycle
- Can explain to clients why a property will make a good investment.
Should I invest in real estate?
If you’re considering becoming a first-time investor, I encourage you to first consider these three things:
- First, ask yourself why you want to invest in real estate. Knowing the “why” will keep you energized and motivated—and help propel you through the challenging times.
- Second, you need to be willing to educate yourself about Canadian property. Read lots of books, articles, attend seminars and courses, and go to Meet Up groups. Take advantage of all the resources out there!
- Third, be honest with yourself. Do you have what it takes to be a landlord?
I share these insights in more detail in this Ottawa Sun article: Things to consider before you buy your first investment property.